An Unwritten History – (2) The Big Picture

(Return to the Contents Topics page.)

          Over the last thirty years, a sweeping change has been occurring in the United States, resulting in the current crisis.  The United States now teeters on the brink of economic and social disaster, as described in detail elsewhere on this site.  As wealth and power has concentrated heavily in the hands of a relatively few individuals within the most wealthy 1%, these people have gained control of most of the media and much of the three branches of federal government.  Meanwhile, the well-being of the other 99% of Americans has gone steadily downhill, and their incomes and wealth, their opportunities and freedoms, and their entire way of life have deteriorated.  The ascent of the wealthy to near total power in this democracy has been stealthy, and they have maintained popular support among the victimized American people with widely disseminated propaganda, and outright lies about the effects of their policies and their intentions for America.

          The story begins with a new American imperialism, fostered from within the military industrial complex, and expands to embrace the agendas of large multi-national corporations and financial institutions.  The extent of damage caused to the middle class and the poor in this country, also described elsewhere on this site, is only recently being fully accounted for and understood by the American people.

          In broad strokes, the following are the main factors that have brought us to where we are today.  Each will be explored in more detail separately on this site.

(Return to the Contents Topics page.)

JMH-2/26/11

This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s